Monday, October 05, 2009

A Trail of Death

Posted by Picasa
In Mexico things do not run on the same time clock as where I grew up. For instance, if I say I will be somewhere at 7 and I am not there by 7:30 something is wrong and you better give me a call. Well in Mexico if you say you are going to be somewhere at 7 you are basically on time if you are there at 8 or 8:30. Its just the way life is. There are places to go, people to see, and things to do, but it just all works differently. So sometimes there is a good of waiting around. This afternoon as such a time....
Three of us where waiting on the side of a road to be picked up. Naturally we had been waiting a while, so I decided to make the most of my time and get a siesta. A few minutes later, a flock of people came around the bend. They had flowers and a tent thing and where carrying something that looked like a shrine. They were also chanting something that I could not make out. (My Spanish has gotten better, but it is not THAT good. *Yet*) I asked the girl who was with me if it was a funeral. When she said no, I figured out it was a religious ritual. A ritual that was nothing but tradition. It brings no hope....no LIFE.
All it has to offer is death.
I wanted to jump up from my observation spot and say, "It's not true! You can have hope! Jesus Christ is life itself. He has come that you may have life and have it more abundantly!"
Of course I could not, so I prayed for those people, thanked God for the life He has given me, and said to my friend in Spanish, "It is sad. Very, very sad."

[Note: The picture is of the flowers they left behind as they continued down the road.]

No comments:

Post a Comment