Monday, January 04, 2010

Words

There are some words in Spanish that once I have found out what they literally mean, I love them or at least find them intriguing. For example:
Esperar: The verb "to wait" but also the verb "to hope"....to hope is to wait and to wait is to hope.
De nada: How you say "you're welcome" in Spanish, but literally means "of nothing". Like "Don;;t worry about it. It was nothing."
Hacer: The verb for "to do" and also the verb for "to make".... This one I only find interesting. Not sure why.
Lo siento: How you would say "I am sorry" but it literally means "I feel it". Like, "I feel what you are going through. Your pain. It is not just something that you have to deal with alone, I feel it too." It is kinda cheesy, but a common joke here is when someone says that their head hurts, and you say "I feel it" that they respond with, "Yes, but I feel it much more".

There are more, but these are the ones that I could think of off the top of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment