Friday, February 26, 2010

Who I am


IMG_0087

I have a confession to make. Sometimes I find people just.plain.annoying. Especially when they “ask” for favors but yet expect for you to do it. It makes me want to demand, “Are you asking me? or are you telling me?!” One such circumstance happened last night, and all I could thing was, “Are you kidding me?!” And that was exactly what I said to my friends who were with me when I read the downright ridiculous request. I was not mad, but in fact found humor in the matter and went on to fulfill the request to the best of my ability. I was quite proud of myself too.

Until this morning. I read this…

“If the ultimate, the hardest, cannot be asked of me; if my fellows hesitate to ask it and turn to someone else, then I know nothing of Calvary love.” -Amy Carmichael

And I was humbled. Deeply humbled before my God. My haughty superior attitude. Disgusting.

And then my thoughts wandered to two very dear friends of mine who are here visiting for a couple of days. One knows worlds more about computers than I do so I passed over my laptop for a quick fix. As he worked diligently for hours, even putting some cash into the problem, his wife, an artist, worked with me on developing children’s lessons. We spent the evening working and chatting away, taking a break when the conversation turned to more serious matters. They told me time and time again how happy they were to be able to help me out in any way. Because they are my friends and because they love me, yes. But much more so for the love of their Savior.

So what did I do? Turned to my God and asked forgiveness for being how I am, asking Him to show me, convict me, and give me His love. But not only change how I see, but who I am.

For more writings about Calvary Love from Amy Carmichael click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment