Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Heart Wrenching

On Monday afternoon, October ninth two thousand six, there was an open-air meeting at the University of California Berkeley. While Thomas Bell was preaching, there was a young woman taking notes adamantly and she made a rough sketch of the paint board. During the meeting, she turned to her left and asked me, “What’s this guy’s point?” I mumbled something like, “Lets listen and find out” or something along those lines. She kept writing things down and she even copied the Ezekiel Project emblem off of Tom’s shirt and wrote down the name of the organization. Earlier in the meeting I heard her say “this guy is probably trying to sell something”. She earnestly scribbled notes as the message continued. Some guy asked her about what was going on and she said she was not sure, but it seemed pretty interesting. Was I ever excited! At the end of the meeting I asked her if she ever figured out what the point of the message. “Not really” was all she said. I then asked her why she was taking notes on the talk and she told me for the Cal Times. She stated that they sent her up there because they thought it might be interesting, but it turned out not to be. Before I could say anything else, she turned on her heel and walked down the hill. What a disappointment! I thought it was going to be a perfect opportunity, but it turned out to be a flop. I was then reminded that “For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish, foolishness; but unto us which are saved is the power of God.” (1 Corinthians 1:18) I thought the message was powerful and effective, but this girl could not care less about it. It sobers me to think that girl died she would realize how much she needed to understand the point of the message because she will be spending eternity without Christ. I can only pray the Lord would use that contact and she will spend time going over her notes and realize her need for the Savior.

3 comments:

  1. its so hard...why dont people get it? why dont they care? God's patience is so amazing, and I guess I am very thankful for being brought up hearing the gospel. Love you, Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat:
    The Lord gave you a good verse to help you realize there was nothing else you could do. Keep praying, though because she did take notes and draw sketches. Maybe they will speak to her. One of the "facts" about serving the LORD is that we never know everything we acomplish til we get to glory. Grandma and Grandpa Gross

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know that it is really hard kathleen, but dont give up. i dont understand why people dont get it. i know for one thing that there is no way that i could live without my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He is my all and i would be completely lost without Him. never lose sight of Him!! i love you tons and will talk to you soon, rosie.

    ReplyDelete