IF today is the day of salvation, if tomorrow may never come and if life is equally uncertain, how can we eat, drink and be merry when those who live with us, work with us, walk with us and love us are unprepared for eternity because they are unprepared for time?
IF Jesus called His disciples to be fishers of men, who gave us the right to be satisfied with making fish tackle or pointing the way to the fishing banks instead of going ourselves to cast out the net until it be filled?
IF Jesus Himself went seeking the lost, if Paul the Apostle was in agony because of his kinsmen, according to the flesh, who knew not Christ, why should we not consider it worthwhile to go out after the lost until they are found?
IF I wish to be approved at the last, then let me remember that no intellectual superiority, no eloquence in preaching, no absorption in the business, no shrinking temperament or no spirit of timidity can take the place of or be an excuse for my not making an honest, sincere, prayerful effort to win others to Christ.
-J. Wilbur Chapman, taken from Fishing for Men, by Richard A. Seymour
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kat:
ReplyDeleteI had just come up with the idea the last few days that if today is the day of salvation for all those I meet. And "How can they hear if there is not a preacher?". Then, today is the day for me to witness. In addition, many i meet I will never meet again. I must balance that with the realization that if I tell them they may not respond. But the responsibility for them will no longer be mine.
Grandpa G.
Actually, God may bring them across my path again. The other day, I realized that I should have witnessed to a man sitting next to me but I didn't. Two days later, I say him and asked if he had been in the lobby at the hosp. two nights earlier. When the answer was, yes, I took advantage this time and he invited me in to speak to the hosp. patient - his mother. God is so good.
ReplyDeleteGrandpa