I stop. Stand up straight, unfolding my back. I look up to a baby blue sky, shielding my eyes from the sunlight with my hands. Then I look around. So much green. Trees. Rolling Hills. Rocks. Houses dotting the side of the mountains. I look back and in doing so, my eyes wander downward. Down to where I had been, seeing how far and how high I had climbed. I looked forward and upward, not being able to see how far I had left to go. I sigh with a bit of discouragement. The thrill of hiking had long since left and I weariness was slowly taking over my body. The words, "Poco a poco; step by step" ring in my head. "Don't give up keep pressing forward." So I go. Keep climbing. I come across slippery rocks and mud. Both of which make the path unstable and unsure. I watch the feet of the person in front of me, thinking, "Step where they have stepped. Watch to see what is the best way to go." The sun hides behind the clouds and dusk sets in. Soon the person in front of me pulls out a flashlight. I do not have one. They swing hold the light down by their knee, swinging it back and forth, back and forth. In this, the light helps them and me. Now I am walking, only being able to see where I am half of the time, the other half I remember what the light showed me when it was there, repeating to myself, "Never doubt in the darkness what you have seen in the light." Still climbing. Then, without warning, I feel my foot slip, I know I'm going to fall. The hand of the person in front of me reaches back, grabbing my arm, keeping me from falling. They say, "Are you alright?! Don't you worry. I know the way. Hold my hand and you will not fall." I take a deep breath. All is ok. I say a silent prayer. And we continue on.
Oh Lord, how this is the story of my life. Struggling, questioning, reminding myself of precious truths along the way to keep myself going. Enough I say! I am ready for that deep breath that comes with the assurance of a strong hand. Lord I am willing to go where You want me to go and do what You want me to do, but please lead me by the hand. Better yet, carry me upwards and onwards. Further up and further in.
That is really scary I hope I am never in that situation. That would have scared me when I slipped but to have a hand to catch me that would make me feel better!! Praise the Lord you are alright!
ReplyDeleteCaroline
My dear sister....while situations like this do happen (you know, I have always been "gracie" :) this actual story did not happen. I used a situation from my physical life to express what how I am feeling emotionally and spiritually. Does that make sense or do I need to revise the post?
ReplyDeleteNo that makes since. Thank you for telling me that I really miss you and I can't wait to see you!!!
ReplyDeleteCaroline