Remember when I said here, that a friend of mine was helping me develop children’s lessons? Yes. She was wonderful. And still is. But here is what we did and how it works.
I started developing picture stories for kids using some of the techniques I learned at The Ezekiel Project. As a spring board I am using a little booklet called “Your Story” that goes through and chronologically and logically tells the story of man and his relationship with the God of the universe. I had wanted something simple and straightforward that offered a clear path into the gospel. I mean, I know its possible to travel from "Daniel in the Lion’s Den” to the redeeming work of Christ, but considering my Spanish and that many times Spanish is the second language of my listeners, and sometimes I am translated, I wanted something that leads into the gospel without having to jump a few bushes to get there. I also wanted lessons that could build on one another, because I most of the time I work with the same group of kids on a weekly bases. However I also needed something that a one time listener could learn from as well and not be completely lost like if you watch one episode of the TV show LOST.
I had started sharing the stories using sketch paper and markers….having to redraw everything each time. Then it was suggested that I draw the base to the stories, laminate them, use dry erase markers, wipe it clean, and then reuse. That’s where my friend the artist comes in. I am not been artistically gifted at all. So she is doing all the drawing for me. Each picture also has a bible verse that is related to the story so if given time, we can memorize it together and if not, then I show it to them during the story time.
We were together back in Georgia last week and worked on them together. Since getting back here last Monday, I have used those little things every day, sometime more than once a day. And it has been working great. The kids are interested, I know were I am going, and we are all learning.
So far we have four lessons (which means I have told the same story a lot of times this week!) and we hope to make enough to cover the entirety of the booklet.
I am so glad it works!!!! Should save you tons of time. Is the Spanish children's Bible coming in handy too?
ReplyDeleteLove you!
kim