
Here's the story. Early in the morning on Thursday, Becca, Christopher and me started our journey south to Georgia. We were chugging along I-94 west through Detroit and coming upon I-75 south. At this point, I was driving. After a few miles on I-75 there was no more I-75, just a pile of dirt. We got detoured and 20 miles later, guess where we were? Back on I-94 westbound! The detour took us about 60 miles out of our way, which in reality was no big deal. You may be thinking, "Why is she explaining all of this if it was no big deal?" Well. the big deal was pot holes. Yes, Detroit, in case you did not know, has horrible roads that should not be in existence in America, especially on interstates. Well, I hit a few of this pot holes on this extended route through Detroit, and a couple of them pretty hard....but we kept going.

*A couple of hours later* We stop in Ohio for coffee and to switch drivers. It was at this time that we realized something was just not right. Upon investigation, it was discovered that
a rusted out shock shaft had come up into the car. Christopher informed me that is not the way its supposed to be. :) It was somewhat stable and we decided to keep heading on our way instead of going back through the mind field. We took it easy, prayed a lot and made it through the rest of Ohio in a few hours.
Enter West Virgina aka more pot holes. Yes, we hit another one, causing the car to ride so low that the frame of the car was essentially sitting on the tire on the back left side. Huston, we have a problem!

To make an already long story not quite as long as it could be...called AAA. Got towed to a little whole in the wall place. The machines did a sort of ghetto rig thing because it would take a couple of days to get the parts. Spent some time walking around town, After a few hours, we were on our way again. Eventually we got to Augusta. I think I was home by 2 a.m. and we had left around 5:30 a.m. Pointless to say, it was a long day.
But...we learned a lot, especially what it is like to not have any control over the circumstances and seeing that God did; we had some great chances to talk to people about Christ when we never would have had those opportunities to if everything had gone hunky-dory; we got to spend more time with each other and with the final days of TEPSE growing closer, it is all the more precious; we found out we work well together in frustrating situations (Becca provided optimism, Chris made decisions, and I took pictures) ; and we have one more great story for the book Becca and I are going to write someday about our years at TEPSE.
That's pretty crazy. I've never seen anything like that. Has it been repaired properly yet? Glad you all made it back safely.
ReplyDelete