Monday, December 15, 2008

Soon-to-be-Man


My youngest brother, Andrew Tyler, turned nine yesterday. Hard to believe that is already been nine years since he was born....
I had just turned eleven the morning he came into the world. A few months earlier, we had found out that the newest little addition to our family was a boy. A BOY! After four consecutive girls with one older brother, we were all thrilled at the prospect of a younger brother. The name hunt was on. My mom had liked the name Tyler, but could not think of another name that she liked to go along with it. A few days before, we had been watching "Raggedy Anne and Andy on Ice" Raggedy Anne referred to her brother as "Andrew". It was decided then that Andrew would be the name for the baby. We have never shorted his name to Andy, though.
One morning I woke up to discover a family friend on the couch and the other kids watching cartoons. Shortly after that, we got a phone call that our baby brother, Andrew Tyler was born. When it came time for his delivery, his cord delivered first. If he delivered that way, he would have suffocated. The doctor quickly preformed an emergency C-section and saved Andrew's life.
As soon as I saw the little guy, he became the object of my highest affection and my favorite "thing" to play with. Many times we wrapped him up tightly in a blanket and he became the baby wherever our adventures took us that day, whether out west in the 1800's or to the Nile River back in the times of Pharaoh, where Andrew became baby Moses.
As he got older and chubbier, he became even more of a dear. He was often my "Security Blanket", sitting on my hip in new places with new people when I was unsure of what to say or do.
He loved to talk and would wait for ten minutes to be able to get his thought in, even if the conversation had already switched topic three times. If he did not feel like he had your full attention, he would take both of his hands, put them on your checks, pull your face up close to his, and say "What I wanted to say was...."
He also loved movies. He would watch the same one over. and over. and over. Among some of his favorites were, Finding Nemo and Ice Age. All of the parts were his favorites and he could quote whole movies, which made for great entertainment. He informed me the other day that he did such things when he was in preschool and is too busy to do them now.
Since he could talk he has always said. the. funniest. things. He reads well, but often people who do, mispronounce things. Drew is no exception to that rule. You should hear him at Mexican restaurants. One time he was talking to me about one of our sisters who will remain nameless, and said, "Oh Kathleen, you know her! She is not the brightest light bulb or the sharpest tool in the shed!"
Andrew is also one of the most sensitive people I know...in a good way. He can tell when people are hurting and what will put a smile on their face again. He knows how to make you feel loved. He has a heart and way with people that I envy.
Hard to believe my little boy is growing into a young man. Every time I see him he is a little taller, skinnier, and his voice is a little deeper. He is constantly changing, and not just physically. I look forward to seeing where he will go, what he will do, he who will be, but I also love to watch the process. And, I love him, my little-soon-to-be-man, Drew.

2 comments:

  1. What that sister me?
    You nailed it, when describing him!
    Sarah :]]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can neither confirm or deny whether or not you are the aforementioned sister...that would lead to a process of elimination or admit that you were the sister, and I cannot do either to Drew.

    ReplyDelete