Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"How could 18 years just up and walk away
Our little pony-tailed girl grown up to be a woman
Now she's gone in the blink of an eye..."

Today, my sister Ashlyn turned 18. Many people have been making comments about her leaving childhood and becoming an adult today, but the truth is, she already acts like an adult when the situation calls for it, but has the positive out look on life that a child has.

Her outlook on life is laugh, love, and honesty....

She loves people in a way that I have seen few people do. She loves them for who they are, finds the best in them, and thinks it is an honor to spend time with people, no matter who they are. She hardly ever thinks she is better than other people and treats people the way that people long to be treated. When someone new comes in, Ashlyn is one of the first ones to talk to them....you would think that by the way she interacts with them that they where the best of friends. She treats people that way, not because she thinks she should, but because she genuinely loves them and enjoys getting to know people.
Yet, at the same time, she cares so little about what others think of her. She knows what she thinks, what she likes and dislikes, and what is important to her. She never puts on airs, but what you see is what you get. And she is very honest about life, people, herself, and who she is. She is a woman who fears the Lord....and few others.
The combination of love and honesty that she is a unique. A lot of people who I know that are very loving, often refuse to see things they really are. Then others who are exceptionally honest, have a hard time showing love to people. Ashlyn is a beautiful blend of both because she honestly loves people.
But she is not only honest to others, but she is honest about herself. She does have a *bit* of a temper, but she will be the first one to admit it. We had many "I am going to rip your head off" ...um scratch that... "sister" moments, but her ability to forgive and my diplomacy skills always brought us through. I am happy to report we have not had one of those moments in many years, but plenty of sisterly moments.
She is also gullible and I have a horrible habit of taking advantage of people who are gullible. When we were really young, she loved having pennies...I am not sure why, I just knew she did. Since I had a lot of pennies and she had a bunch of green paper, we decided to have an even trade....a penny for a bill. My plan was flawless except for her excitement about all of her new wealth....she spilled the beans. My dad took one of her dollar bills and then brought a hundred pennies home to her the next night. Thus, the end of our deal.


Happy Birthday, dear sister! I look forward to seeing what the years to come hold for you and long for eternity when I can see the impact your life has made! I love you Ashlyn Rebekah!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a sweet Blog, that truly shows how strong the bonds of sisterly love is....kim

    ReplyDelete