Thursday, September 24, 2009

Gracie Strikes. Yet Again.

So it would seem like gracefulness and my ever so tender way with words, or rather the lack there of did not leave me when I went south of the boarder. Aren't you glad to know?! I am still very good at the usual.....tripping over my own feet, spilling things on my clothes (gotta love salsa!), and bumping into random people. But, yes my friends, there is a big BUT, I have had some oh-so-radiant moments. Take yesterday for example.....
* One of the girls asked me if I had paper. I has proud of myself for understanding her without having to think for 30 seconds. I responded with a resounding "Si!" and pulled out my notebook. I heard laughter all around....then I realized she had said "Papel del bano." Yes, that would be toilet paper.
* Then there would be the MUD. Its the rainy season here, so there is lots of it. Actually it is red clay, so that makes me feel at home, of course I managed to somehow get it all over my shoes and half way up my legs. Everyone else just had it one the tips of their toes. Oh, and I wore my kakies too.
* Speaking of mud and mountains (you know, the place with many small, curvy, even paths?) You guessed it! Landed on my bum. Twice. Within three minutes. It created a nice splatter paint look to my pants.
* We were in a small home in the mountains, the fire was going inside. There was no electricity. I was standing near the fire to try to get warm after my little *spills* on the path. They lady served us hot chocolate. I was basking in the warmth of it when someone asked me something. I responded in Spanish, with "It's hot." Well, um, come to find out, they had asked me if it was alright if the prayed.
Yes...those were just a few of my shinning moments in just one day.

But there were also truly glorious moments too....
*Eating at a little restaurant outside a house while waiting for a bus. The kids inside where watching Ratatouille. Silly as this sounds, in that moment, I realized these kids where just like other kids I know. Oh, of course their circumstances are different, the look a little different, and the speak a different language, but they are lives. Lives with a story to tell and also one to write. Whether they know it or not, that story includes, "Christ died for you. He loves you. He wants to give you real life."
*Watching a beautiful Indian girl look at the bud window. Then her turning around and giving me a hug smile.
*Walking up a mountain in the rain. Sharing a scarf with one of the girls here to stay semi-dry.
*Singing "Amazing Grace" with said girl. Her in Spanish, me in English.
*Having prayed that I would enjoy whatever I was offered to eat or drink, then having that prayer answered.
* Watching children and adults alike singing their hearts out to my Savior.
Yes...those were just a few of my glorious moments in just one day.

1 comment:

  1. You know you can learn to pronounce (read) all Spanish words even if you don't know what they mean? You can sound like you know.
    G&G

    ReplyDelete