Monday, September 21, 2009

A Post with Pictures

The weekend was an interesting one. On Saturday, we went to a wedding in the mountains. The people there speak Spanish and another completely different language. Needless to say, it was the most unique wedding I have ever been too. I loved it. If you look up at the mountains from town, it does not look like anything is there, but as you go up a winding road further into the mountians, you see little homes tucked away. Eventually we got to a little village. We had to walk up a path to get to the wedding and from where we had parked, I could hear people singing. As we got closer and closer, more people began to appear.

On Sunday, we went to the chapel. I could not understand too much of what was going on, but they put all the words to the songs up on the wall, so I could look at it while listening to what they were saying. Plus, I understood what some of the songs where from the tune. I think I will learn a lot of vocabulary this way. The people there were super nice and took the time to come up to shake my hand with a smile.

Today I went into the shopping area of town with one of the girls who lives here as well. She doesn't speak too much English, so it is fun finding ways to communicate with her. A couple nights ago it was just us at home and we managed to kill a couple of spiders together :) I think during the couple of times I have spent alone with her, is when I have learned the most. She is so very patient.

As far as my Spanish is concerned, I understand much more than I can say, but that does not mean I understand a lot. :) The past few days I have learned a lot of vocabulary, but I know my grammar is horrible. Oh well, in time, in time. For those of you who know me, patience has never been my strongest suit.
Tomorrow will be the first "normal" day, as in routine, but I have a feeling life here will never be normal or routine. Ahhh! Just the way I like it!

The first picture is of a river we walked down today and the second is a picture of the mountains taken from the back door of the house.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update...did you take your Spanish Bible? I was thinking of how you spent some of your Christmas money to buy one several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this looks really cool! I love the pictures
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete