Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Communicating


So I have been working on communicating by myself here in this country where I do not speak or understand the mother tongue.
I got the bus tickets all on my own.
I smile and nod at the right times.....well most of the time.
I played basketball and frisbee with a boy who speaks little English.
I understand where I need to go in the train stations and at the bus stops.
I bought things in stores on my own.
And most of the time people are nice about it. And if they can they will speak English to me.
But, when I went to get my food today, and the lady understood my order, until I asked for french fries to be added. Appearenlty, If i got the same thing as a platter, then it would be a better deal, but I did not want all that food. And she kept tring to convince me that I did...and of course I could not understand her. I pointd at the picture, repeated my order, and she punched it in and gave me a not-so-nice-look. The food was great, though. And exactly what I wanted.

1 comment:

  1. so i had a guro today in a restaurant, and asked lars if i could get it with bread, but apparently if you only are supposed to get bread if it is to go.. soo i think that explains why that women got in such a fizzle about you and your bread.
    oh and yes mine was amazing!

    ReplyDelete